Written on May 28, 2011
Gabrielle Giroday has an article in today’s Winnipeg Free Press about the police response to the epidemic of missing & murdered women. It features Bernice and Wilfred Catcheway, who aren’t relying on the police to uncover what happened to their missing daughter.
“We just go on searching,” said Bernice Catcheway, who spent $10,000 to excavate a dump in Grand Rapids in the search for the Portage la Prairie teen after she went missing in June 2008.
“We’re not waiting for the police. They say, ‘Oh, we’re with you, we’re with you.’ We don’t see that, we have no communication,” said Bernice Catcheway.
Their daughter’s case garnered intense media coverage after it happened, with the family organizing searches and gathering tips. Their experience with police had been frustrating, they said, and that frustration continues.
Update 10:57am: Global has a related story today titled Where are Manitoba’s missing women?
Filed in: News.